Sunday, June 24, 2007

My landscape



Here's a view of my lawn and landscape. Just look at that beautiful striping in the turf!
We had this home built 3 years ago. I constructed the entire hardscape and plantings myself. I also started the lawn from scratch. It is 100% seeded using turf-type tall fescue.
(click on the photos for larger, more detailed views)








I am also very fond of daylillies. Mine are mostly stella-de-oro.
Notice the specimen river-birch. This tree was purchased at Home Depot 3 years ago for $9.99. At that time, it was small: about 3 feet tall. Now, with proper care and pruning, it is nearly 15 feet tall and has a beautiful bronze trunk.







Each plant in this landscape, with the only exception being the topiary rose of sharon, was purchased for less than $10 at my local Home Depot. I like buying smaller plants; mainly because they are cheaper, but also because I get to dictate their growth rate and habits, as well as take a little pride in their raising. (yep, I'm and green geek!

One last thing: Notice the flowers on those hostas! I think that is one of the coolest things about them!